A new peace proposal for Ukraine drafted by the Trump administration could envision the country ceding the eastern Donbas region and limiting the size of its military in exchange for security guarantees from the United States, according to a Western official familiar with the ideas under discussion.

US officials said the plan was still being worked on, and that any final agreement would require concessions from both sides, not just Ukraine. Some of the points being circulated now – including some that appear weighted toward Moscow’s demands – are not final, officials said, and will almost certainly evolve. During a Thursday afternoon briefing, the White House press secretary said the plan remained “in flux.”

After meeting a top US military official in Kyiv on Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky agreed to work with the Trump administration on the new plan, saying in a social media post that he was prepared for “constructive, honest and swift work” to achieve peace.

The 28-point plan, which President Donald Trump has reviewed and supports, is the White House’s latest attempt to bring Russia’s war in Ukraine to an end. Some of the proposal’s provisions — including territorial concessions in areas not currently held by Russia — have previously been nonstarters with the Ukrainians. But US officials see a new window of opportunity to restart peace discussions.

The plan is still in the framework stage, and its many points haven’t been finalized. CNN has not reviewed the proposal.

Read Full Article

Continue reading the complete article on the original source